I don’t know about you, but I crave homemade chocolate chip cookies (emphasis on homemade here). The crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, melt-in-your-mouth, chocolate chip cookies. Just thinking about this gives me tingles.
This is probably because I grew up with an amazing Mom who would always have desserts in the house. Banana bread, cookies, cake on your birthday, MANDEL BREAD (we will get there in another post), you name it. My Mom Mom (my fancy 2-year old term for Grandma) also used to always have cookies for us. Even if it wasn’t the holidays, she had cookies in tins waiting for us when we were coming over. My favorite were always chocolate chip cookies (duh).
In an effort to enhance the classic chocolate chip cookie and make it a little healthier for us, I made us Gluten Free & Vegan ones (and no they don’t taste like card board).
But it doesn’t end there. I added a little something extra inside the cookie that you will LOVE.
I am sure you are familiar with my good friend almond butter by now. And if you’re not, things are about to get real cozy real fast because I am here to share Almond Butter Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies.
Yes thats right, they are vegan, gluten free and filled with ALMOND BUTTER!
[bctt tweet=”gluten free & vegan chocolate chip cookies STUFFED with almond butter”]
The particular almond butter you use here plays a key part in the cookie recipe. You want something creamy and not too grainy. That’s why I used Barney Butter Bare Smooth Almond Butter and I highly recommend you do as well. It is the smoothest and most creamy almond butter EVER. Every time someone I know tells me they don’t like almond butter because of the consistency (after I look at them like they’re insane), I always tell them to try Barney Butter and they immediately fall in love!
These cookies are also my first vegan chocolate chip cookie recipe ever. I don’t really have a preference if something is vegan or not vegan, personally I find many vegan foods to be too heavy and a little too processed for me. I try to just eat foods that I can pronounce the ingredients and that make me feel good. Like these Almond Butter Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies as well as Gluten Free Peanut Butter Cup Blossoms and 3-ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies. But, I was definitely excited to nail a vegan cookie recipe that could appeal to basically anyone who eats chocolate chip cookies.
Here are the main ingredients you will need for Almond Butter Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies:
Flax egg (directions in recipe below)
- 1 stick of earth balance vegan butter
- 1 cup of gluten free baking mix (I used bob's red mill)
- 3/4 cup of vegan dark chocolate chips
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax seed mixed with 3 tbsp water)
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup of coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp of baking powder
- 1/2 cup of barney butter bare almond butter
- Preheat 350 degrees and line cookie tray with parchment paper
- Cream together butter, coconut sugar and brown sugar with hand mixer
- Add in the flax egg, vanilla extract, baking powder and some of the flour and mix together
- Add in the rest of the flour and mix until it is completed mixed and you have dough consistency
- Fold in chocolate chips and mix with spatula
- Using a tablespoon, scoop cookie dough onto tray and flatten
- Using ½ teaspoon scoop barney butter and place it onto each flat laid cookie
- Using your hands, fold the dough around the barney butter and roll it into a ball so the almond butter is totally stuffed
- Bake in the oven for 9-12 minutes
*This recipe was adapted by my personal favorite vegan/gluten free chocolate chip cookies from Eat Pastry.