I’m giggling as I type this blog post because full disclosure: we didn’t really register for much. I didn’t have a baby shower of sorts like many do. Not something I personally wanted and I’m Jewish so it isn’t really within the tradition to have one. We didn’t really have to register for things with the intention of receiving gifts before the babe was born. We did though have an epic list of baby items we wanted to stock up on before Ez arrived to make sure we have everything needed and the nursery and apartment was ready for his arrival.
One of the most common questions I received my entire pregnancy from you guys was “what are you registering for?”. And I totally get it! It is really overwhelming and confusing to know what to get, what brand to buy and what do we actually need and what is a waste of money. When I first started making a list on what we were going to need, my head was spinning. I was calling all of my mom friends and my mom asking a million questions on what to get and what we likely don’t need. Especially since we live in an apartment, I try to keep the amount of “stuff” at a minimum. I know that is challenging with a baby but we really streamlined the number of items we brought in and wanted to use.
I’m going to walk you guys through a list of our favorite items that we have so far for Ez. Of course, everyone is different and every baby is different but these are our personal favorites. If I had done a larger registry and shower, these are the types of items I 100% would have asked for. They are great gifts and baby stuff adds up so it is great to try to register for as much as you can! Or just go crazy stocking up like we did 🙂
The baby essentials list:
- Bassinet + stand – when Ez first came home he slept in a bassinet (code RACHL for free gift with purchase) with the cushion linked below. We have a stand like this one and it is adorable and the bassinet is here. He is a month old and he is still use it! It is also great because you can bring it wherever you are in your home.
- Baby lounger/cushion – this is what we have inside the bassinet. It is great to also have him snuggle in this all over the house and it’s nice and tight and cozy for the him. Get a few extra sheets/covers for it too incase there is any spit out. I also put this in the bassinet of the stroller to snuggle him up more.
- Organic crib sheets – we have these ones! Same as our bedding. I also use two sheets at a time on the mattress.
- Stroller – I dreamed of having this stroller from Bugaboo and we are obsessed. We have a grey one and it is so cute and smooth and easy to use! We also have the snack tray, umbrella attachment and mosquito net.
- Stroller jacket + gloves – if you live where climate drops, this stroller jacket for the babe and these gloves for parents are a must!
- High chair – we have this high chair and set ready to rock when the little bub is eating with us. Haven’t used it yet but heard great things.
- Car seat – we have this one then we got the adapters for the Bugaboo so it can be attached to stroller when needed.
- Baby carriers – I have been using this one most often during the newborn stage. I also have this one for when we can go outside.
- Diaper pale – this diaper pale is a must. No one wants the stink from diapers all over the house!
- Play-mat – we have a couple different ones. This one we love and use all the time, and wit will be great for travel.
- Baby skincare – these are great smaller gifts to ask for. I use this baby oil skin butter. Also this soap (code RACHL)
- Diaper bag + travel changing pad – I love this bag (has holders for bottles) and this changing pad for when we are out and about. Plus they’re machine washable.
- Travel crib – we have this one right now for when we travel on weekends, to my parent’s, etc. Haven’t used it yet!
- Bottles, bottle warmer + sterilizer – we keep this bottle warmer and the sterilizer in the kitchen. At first I didn’t think we’d need it but I cannot imagine not having this! I have this set too which came with a variety of bottles and brushes. The bottle warmer is so helpful at night when we give him a bottle of my milk (I pump and leave in fridge for night feedings).
- Baby mobiles – the adorable moon, dream catcher and cloud in Ez’s room is from Baby Jives. I am obsessed with their stuff and the woman behind the brand, she is so sweet and even gave me a code for you guys to get 20% off all orders – RACHL
- Swaddles – Same place as the mobiles. We got a bunch of swaddles from Baby Jives. They are so soft and easy to wash (a must in my book). 20% off with code RACHL
- Newborn set for hospital – this is a great set that comes with a few different things! We packed this for hospital too with a fun blanket from them.
- Nursing pillow – I got this one but I don’t use it all too much anymore. Just the first couple of weeks when I was getting the hang of it. I plan to use it when Ezra starts more tummy time too.
- Bath supplies – we use this infant bath and also have this knee pad and arm rest when he takes an actual bath one day. We love this animal towel too!
- Burp cloths – there is no such thing as too many burp cloths. I love these ones because they are soft and comfy. We have about a dozen (excess yes, but saves laundry time)
- Onesies – I do have fun putting Ezra in cute clothes but he is snuggled up on a onesie 95% of the time. We have these ones in a handful of colors and they are organic and super warm. Also have many of these and a lot of clothes from that brand. Loving these beanies for newborn phase too.
- Night light + sound machine – one of my favorites in the nursery is this sound machine and night light. I haven’t used the sound feature yet but the light is amazing for nighttime feedings so you don’t trip and fall over everything. Plus it is the perfect amount of brightness and has many different settings.
- Changing pad + scale – I was not going to get a changing pad that has a sheet on it. The amount of times Ezra poops, that would lead to many poop stains all over the changing pad sheets! I stubbled on this changing pad and it is genius. It doubles as a scale too, which has been great to keep track of Ezra’s growth being that he was preemie. Plus it’s easy to wipe and clean if you get anything on it.
I will keep adding anything else too as we start to use and love other things!