These Breakfast-y Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread Cookies are actually life.
They are so lightly sweetened and made with wholesome and delicious ingredients. There is really nothing not to crave about them. It’s pretty much a bowl of oatmeal in a cookie from WITH zucchini in it so you’re even getting some veggies in.
This recipe is also plant-based, gluten free-friendly and super easy to make. There is no egg in it to bind the cookies and instead we are using Bob’s Red Mill Flaxseed Meal. I was a little hesitant on replacing eggs with flaxseed meal at first but now I am obsessed. It is such an easy sub and making a flax egg is much less intimidating than you think it is. All you have to do is combine 1 tablespoon of flaxseed meal with 3 tablespoons water, mix it and let it sit for a few minutes in the fridge. It takes just a few seconds and you are set.
With the amount of baking and cooking and just straight up eating we do over here, it is nice to switch things up and add an extra boost with flaxseed meal. Plus I get to sneak in extra healthy fats, fiber and vitamins from using flaxseed meal.
What I also love about these cookies is that they are relatively low in sugar. There is only 2 tablespoons of added sugar from maple syrup and half a banana.
AKA these cookies are a DREAM.
WHAT YOU NEED
Gluten-free Rolled Oats
Flax egg, made with Bob’s Red Mill Flaxseed Meal
Dark chocolate chips
Breakfast-y Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread Cookies (vegan)
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup old-fashoned rolled oats (I used gluten-free)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon Bobs Red Mill Flaxseed Meal + 3 tablespoons water)
- 1/2 ripe banana mashed
- 1 cup shredded zucchini (squeezed a whole lot to get out the water/moisture!)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 cup liquid coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper
- In a large bowl mix together almond flour, oatmeal, baking soda, cinnamon and set aside
- In a separate large bowl, mix together mashed banana, shredded zucchini, maple syrup, coconut oil, flax egg and vanilla extract until well combined
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until just combined
- Fold in dark chocolate chips (dough will be a little sticky!)
- Use ¼ cup to measure out dough and drop on baking sheet, placing cookie dough 2 inches apart from one another
- Slightly flatten with the palm of your hand or a spoon
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until cookies are golden brown on the edges
- Allow cookies to cool for 5-10 minutes then enjoy!
- *these freeze very well for up to 2 months!
Thank you Bob’s Red Mill for sponsoring this post. It means so much to me to work with brands that I love and who support rachLmansfield!