Brussels Sprout Falafel Burgers with Spicy Sauce that are grain-free and super easy!
Two of life’s greatest things: brussels sprouts and falafel.
Heck YES. I know you babes are probably as intrigued as I am over this recipe.
I had zero intention of making a falafel burger with brussels sprouts. It all started with wanting a hearty veggie burger with brussels sprouts as the main ingredient. Brussels are a bit finicky though as they were not working well without the help of chickpeas, eggs plus almond flour to bind them.
I likely eat veggie burgers 3x a week and usually eat my favorite Hilary’s Eat Well. They have so many different varieties so I am still waiting for the day I get sick of them.
Veggie burgers go well in so so many things. You can have it traditionally on a bun with toppings, crumbled up in a pasta dish, cut up in an omelet and more. Literally the possibilities are endless. These Brussels Sprout Falafel Burgers though go best the traditional way – on a bun with lettuce or your favorite greens with SPICY SAUCE.
Oh yeah baby. We are making some homemade spicy saauuuceee to go on these gems. Plus the sauce is made with just two ingredients. Sriracha (or your favorite hot sauce) plus Tessemae’s Organic Chesapeake Mayo. Dat is IT. Mix those two ingredients and you have your spicy sauce to accompany these dreamy Brussels Sprout Falafel Burgers.
Tessemae’s has been a staple in our home for the last few months and especially during the Whole30 Jord is doing. I asked him what his favorite Whole30-approved product is and he replied with “Tessemae’s, I would have died without them”. A bit dramatic yes, but you get the point.
Their mayo, BBQ sauce, buffalo sauce and salad dressings are a complete game changer. All organic, all made with simple ingredients and all absolutely delicious. I use Tessemae’s in a few other recipes on the blog like these Crispy Whole30 Carrot Fries, Crispy Baked Buffalo Cauliflower Wings and Avocado Grilled Cheese .. just to name a few.
Now let’s get to these Brussels Sprout Falafel Burgers with Spicy Sauce. They are gluten and grain-free and SO easy to make.
YOU WILL NEED:
egg (can likely sub flax or chia but I haven’t tested)
almond flour (haven’t tested another flour)
Tessemae’s Organic Chesapeake Mayo
- I made this on a grill pan to make them extra crispy but you can bake them in the oven too. Likely for about 20 minutes or so (keep an eye out them)
- These freeze very well, so wrap in foil or tupperware and freeze for about 3 months max and defrost again before cooking (don’t reheat completely frozen)
- I haven’t tested these vegan but if you do, let me know 🙂
Brussels Sprout Falafel Burgers with Spicy Sauce
- 2 cups steamed brussels sprouts (directions below)
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 1/3 cup chickpeas (I use no salt added)
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/3 cup Tessemae's Mayo
- 2 tablespoons sriracha (adjust to taste)
- To steam the brussels sprouts, fill a large pot half way with water and bring to a boil
- Once boiling, add brussels sprouts, cover and lower heat
- Let the brussels sprouts steam for about 7-10 minutes (they should be soft) then strain
- After the brussels sprouts fully cool, add all burger ingredients to food processor and pulse a few times until ingredients are combined (you don't want to over process)
- Heat a grill pan or pan of your choice and add a little avocado oil to grease
- Using a ⅓ measuring cup form burgers and begin grilling on pan for about 5 minutes, flipping half way through (they are fragile, be gentle!)
- Meanwhile, heat the oven to 375 degrees and line a baking tray with parchment paper
- After the burgers are done on pan, add to tray and bake in oven for another 10 minutes for extra firmness
- When burgers are in oven, make the spicy sauce by combining all ingredients in food processor (i just wiped mine out)
- Enjoy burgers with spicy sauce, your favorite bun and toppings!
Thank you Tessemae’s for sponsoring this post. It means so much to me to work with brands that I love and who support rachLmansfield!