I’m dedicating this week National Waffle Week. And no, not because it is the weird food holiday where everyone is going to post about waffles. But because I am seriously OBSESSING over this waffle maker.
After making those 6-ingredient Apple Cinnamon Waffles a few days ago, I wanted to make ones that were a bit more chocolatey and grain-free. These waffles are made with almond and coconut flour instead of oat flour and they have an extra secret ingredient you are going to think is so random.
These waffles have marine collagen! Yup, you read that right. And you would never even know it. It doesn’t change the taste but adds so many extra vitamins and nutrients you are going to become obsessed too. You probably remember me chatting about Vital Proteins in the Dark Chocolate Almond Butter Cup Overnight Oats and Double Chocolate Chip Banana Bread. I try and add it to a lot of recipes and beverages I use.
I personally use Vital Proteins Marine Collagen but they also have a bunch of other kinds like beef gelatin and even a beauty one that is coconut flavored! Best part about their products is how versatile they are. You can seriously add it to any recipe and it just adds an extra boost. So easy and such a perfect way to use Vital Proteins.
These Chocolate Chip Flaxseed Waffles are not only made with extra nutrients but they are grain-free and they have no refined sugars. Plus the addition of flaxseeds (hello omega-3 fatty acids) doesn’t hurt either. We can eat our chocolate chip waffles now, with 0 guilt and no carb coma.
- 3/4 cup almond flour (do not sub another flour)
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour (do not sub another flour)
- 1 scoop Vital Proteins Marine Collagen (or adjust to taste, this is also optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup creamy almond butter (or any nut butter)
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil melted and cooled
- 2 eggs lightly beaten (have not tested to make vegan)
- 2 tablespoons flaxseeds
- 1/2 cup almond milk (you made need 3/4 cup depending on batter)
- Splash of vanilla extract
- Sprinkle of cinnamon
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- Mix together all ingredients except chocolate chips ingredients in a medium bowl
- Fold in chocolate chips then let the batter thicken for a coupe of minutes
- Heat waffle iron and begin making waffles one by one by adding about 3 tablespoons each into a waffle maker
- Should make anywhere from 6-8 waffles depending on how large you make the batter
- Enjoy with your favorite syrup, nut butter and toppings!
- Enjoy within 5 days and leave in fridge or you can freeze for longer*
Thank you Vital Proteins for sponsoring this post. It means so much to me to work with brands that I love and who support rachLmansfield!