If I had to pick two green items to eat for the rest of my life it would be avocado and arugula. Hands down my two absolute favorite green foods. Zucchini is definitely up there too but arugula and avocados, you just get me.
That is why I am OBSESSING over this Creamy Avocado Arugula Pesto. It is seriously the most flavorful and delicious pesto I have made to date.
I always laugh now when I make pesto dishes after my friend Lee was over for lunch a few weeks ago and tried my supergreen pesto and was asking where the salt is, HA! As you can see I’m not much a salt girl over here. My mom never used it when I was growing up and now it is the plague to my mother-in-law and I. We always ask for no salt added at restaurants and honestly I feel like swollen after a salty meal.
That doesn’t mean I don’t eat pickles or sea salt chocolate though. I just mean adding salt to literally everything we eat is unnecessary (in my opinion).
So you may notice that this Creamy Avocado Pesto does not include salt, but you can absolutely add if you prefer!
We are using my go-to arugula from Organic Girl in this recipe and that is the only leafy green I use. I love the bitterness of arugula and pretty much sprinkle it on everything. I love it on pizza, on my sandwiches, eggs, anything. And now, I love it in my avocado pesto!
You can use this pesto for literally anything you want but I enjoyed it with chickpea pasta and used left overs on a sandwich the next day as a little spread. It uses a lot less oil compared to most pestos because we are getting healthy fats from the avocado too.
WHAT YOU NEED
- Since this is an avocado-based pesto, I do recommend enjoying within 1-2 days OR putting in the freezer for it to last longer
- This pesto does get pretty thick and creamy so add as much water as needed to make it more liquid if you’d like
- Feel free to use any nuts you prefer in the pesto, I just love pine nuts and walnuts for my pestos as I don’t eat many of those nuts outside pesto 😉
Creamy Avocado Arugula Pesto Pasta
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1 cup (packed) arugula
- 1/3 cup raw walnuts
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 3 cloves garlic
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- Water as needed
- 1 box pasta of choice (I used chickpea pasta)
- Prepare the pasta according to instructions
- While that is cooking add all the avocado pesto ingredients to food processor or blender and pulse until creamy and well combined (should be smooth and not chunky, I needed about ¼ cup)
- Once pasta is ready, strain and enjoy with desired amount of avocado arugula pesto
- You can also add your choice of protein as well (chicken is yummy in this!)
- *I recommend eating within 1-2 days of making or freeze in airtight container for a month
Thank you Organic Girl for sponsoring this post. It means so much to me to work with brands that I love and who support rachLmansfield!