This is my very first donut recipe, EVER! Can you believe that? I seriously waited almost a year into blogging to make my first donut recipe. Pretty crazy if you ask me.
But now that I have made one, I am already plotting to make a few more for us. If you have any favorite donut recipes you’d like me to recreate or make a bit “cleaner”, definitely let me know. When I personally think of my favorite donut ever (yes, ever) it is the blueberry cake munchkins from Dunkin’ Donuts. Like oh my gosh, those are AMAZING. So cakey, flavorful and basically was my addiction back in the day.
Fast forward 10 years and now I am making a new type of donut to obsess over, Grain-free Dark Chocolate Cherry Donuts.
These Dark Chocolate Cherry Donuts are seriously SO easy to make. They took me a total of 20 minutes from start to finish and were in my belly in 30 minutes tops. Does it get any easier than that? I don’t think so.
They are made with almond flour, cacao, black cherries, and other ingredients you love. Plus they have an ingredient you may not be expecting at all, Zevia.
Zevia is pretty much my post lunch beverage daily and is what I turned to a few years ago when I quit soda. I do say that I quit soda because when you drink something every day around the same time, it becomes a habit, a part of your daily routine. Breaking those habits is seriously SO hard. Finding a bubbly beverage we can actually trust doesn’t come easy these days. Zevia luckily is a Non-GMO verified beverage sweetened with stevia that I turn to to satisfy my soda cravings.
After I started drinking it for awhile, I saw how many other ways you can actually use Zevia besides just cracking open a can and drinking. It is seriously a game changer for baking and cooking too. The bubbles had such a unique texture to recipes and make the fluff factor perfection. Side note, if you go to their website, make sure your volume is on your computer when you click on a can, I am obsessed with the sound effects.
I used their Black Cherry Flavor in this recipe, but I also am obsessed with their Lemon-Lime, Orange and Strawberry.
So next time you are craving a soda, turn to Zevia. And next time you want a donut, give yourself 20 minutes and you can feast on these Grain-free Dark Chocolate Cherry Donuts.
[bctt tweet=”Dark Chocolate Cherry Donuts made grain-free and ready in 20 minutes!” username=”rachLmansfield”]
Grain-free Dark Chocolate Cherry Donuts
- 1 and 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon cacao powder (coco should work too)
- 1/4 cup chopped black cherries
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 2 tablespoons raw honey (maple syrup or agave will work)
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 1/3 cup creamy/drippy nut butter (I used almond butter)
- 1/4 cup Black Cherry Zevia
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chopped cherries
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and grease donut pan well
- Mix together dry ingredients in a small bowl, set aside
- Whisk together wet ingredients well
- Add dry ingredients to wet and mix well (the donut dough will be spongy)
- Add mix-in's if using
- Fill each donut pan (you can fill completely) and pop into the oven for 10-15 minutes or until tooth pick test comes out clean
- Turn upside down to remove donuts and let cool for about 10 minutes before adding chocolate frosting
- Microwave the dark chocolate and coconut oil until completely melted, using a knife ice each donut
- Keep in fridge for 5-7 days
Thank you Zevia for sponsoring this post. It means so much to me to work with brands that I love and who support rachLmansfield!