So I am pretty sure the last time I had a traditional “grilled cheese” sandwich was when I was in high school and worked at Saladworks. Yes, you read that right, your girl worked at Saladworks for 4 years and am damn proud. Endless salads, panini’s and not to mention their cookies are KILLER. Also, I am pretty sure my time there prepared me more for my food blogging skills today than my college career, HA! Sorry Mom and Dad.
As you babes know, I am not much of a cheese lover at all. I am quite the opposite in fact.
I am particular in how I eat cheese actually. I will eat goat cheese, fresh parmesan or mozzarella but only if it is melted on pizza or something. I am weird, I know, just go with it.
Today we are making an Open-Faced Avocado Grilled Cheese. I like to call this the “evolution” of grilled cheese. It is completely dairy-free and the ingredients are on point. First of all, I know what you are thinking, “a dairy-free grilled cheese sounds gross”, but you could not be more wrong.
This Open-Faced Avocado Grilled Cheese is straight up AMAZEBALLS for so many reasons.
First of all, you can make it for an easy lunch, quick dinner or even serve it for friends and have little “tartines” (I am so French, I know).
Also it is a flavor bomb in your mouth. What is not to go crazy over about a flipping AVOCADO GRILLED CHEESE my friends. Um, nothing because it is amazing.
Finally, it is ready in less than 10 minutes and made with 5 easy ingredients so you can feel guilt-free about eating this sammie.
It is made up of avocado, dairy-free cheese (I used KiteHill Ricotta, cilantro and then the main star of the show, Tessemae’s Chesapeake Mayonnaise. Tessemae’s kills it in the condiment and dressing world. They have options for pretty much anyone. Whether you are paleo, vegan, following whole 30, or just your average eater, you will find something you love at Tessemae’s.
What I love most about Tessemae’s is the how it started. A mother of three boys, Tesse, had to find a way to feed her kids vegetables and stay healthy. She started by creating the amazing line of dressings and eventually it led what Tessemae’s is today. Tessemae’s All Naturals grows its product line all around globe and they have a commitment to healthy eating and living. It isn’t everyday you find a dressing or condiment that you can trust while still enjoying the taste of it. Tessemae’s hit the nail on the head. Their mayo line is even approved by me! The mayo phobia girl over here. Because I can actually trust the ingredients in what is in it, it makes a world of difference. I am beyond grateful for companies like Tessemae’s who actually care about what their consumers are eating.
I also have a few more of Tessemae’s products in my pantry that I will be using for some new recipes next month. Let’s just say one of them has Buffalo sauce in it..
Also, head over to Tessemae’s Facebook for details on their campaign “Savor Summer with a Better BBQ Experience”. They are hosting a pretty sweet giveaway and the grand prize is worth $1,300+ and includes a Big Green Egg Grill, YETI Hopper 20, a Tessemae’s condiment pack and MORE!
And don’t forget, if you make this recipe and love it, please share with me! I love to see what you babes are making from the blog.
- 1/3 cup dairy free cheese (I used KiteHill Ricotta but any works)
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- 2 tablespoons Tessemae's Chesapeake Mayonnaise
- 4 slices of whole wheat sour dough (or your bread of choice but sour dough is amazing with it)
- In your food processor, blend together the cheese, avocado, cilantro and mayonnaise until creamy
- The "avocado cheese" mixture should be smooth and spreadable
- Heat your grill pan to medium high heat
- Smear some of the mixture evenly onto 4 slices of bread (could be less or more depending on size of bread)
- Place onto your grill pan and heat it up for about 5-8 minutes, you want the edges to be crisp and golden and the mixture to have a melty look
- Enjoy immediately! You can add a bit more cheese, mayo or some extra greens on top
- *If you do not use all of the avocado mixture, store in fridge in sealed container for up to 24 hours, it may be a little brown because of the avocado. But use a spoon a mix it around!*
Thank you Tessemae’s for sponsoring this post. It means so much to me to work with brands that I love and who support rachLmansfield!