I honestly cannot remember the last time I have a savory breakfast recipe, like ever.
I wake up craving everything sweet, every single day. Chia pudding, toast with nut butter, pancakes, muffins, banana bread, you name it. I never eat something savory in the morning, but usually for lunch I end up eating breakfast food (perks of working from home). Usually it is avocado on a bagel or toast, an omelette, tuna salad. This breakfast pudding though, is my newest lunchtime craving.
A paleo savory breakfast pudding filled with veggies, grain-free bread, and BACON. It still sounds funny when I say I ate some type of meat-related recipe, but I am loving every second of it.
In case you missed it, I recently started eating meat for the first time in 5 years and I am in heaven. Lamb has been my favorite so far (more to come on that) and then turkey. Specifically turkey and lamb burgers!
But this Savory Bacon & Kale Breakfast Pudding is seriously so delicious, it was gone in two days over here between Jord and I. It is so simple and easy to make too and is the perfect recipe for a brunch or family breakfast over the weekend. You can also prep it ahead of time and include it in your “meal prep” for the week.
It is a great meal to enjoy post Whole30 for J too because it’s all compliant beside the grain-free baguette (which only has a little honey!). He has been eating pretty paleo-ish during the week since stopping Whole30 and he still notices a huge difference in his digestion and energy levels. It is also amazing that when we go out on weeks and have tacos and some drinks, he is totally fine. I like to call this the definition of moderation my friends.
Okay so this savory pudding.. let’s get to it!
WHAT YOU NEED
Almond milk cheese
- I used Barely Bread in this to make it paleo, but you can use any bread you wish. I do think that the baguette from Barely Bread tastes bests or sub their regular loaf
- If you aren’t into bacon, feel free to sub a sausage or omit the meat entirely. You can use extra veggies or a lentil-based sausage as well
- Do not leave this in the skillet once cooked (if you are using a cast iron skillet) for too long, remove and store in tupperware or your choice of storage
- You can also use a baking dish (8×8 or 9×9) if you do not have a skillet, should cook for similar amount of time!
Savory Bacon & Kale Breakfast Pudding (paleo)
- 6 slices of bacon
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 head of kale, de-stemmed and chopped
- 1/2 cup artichoke hearts (I used ones from a can)
- 9 large eggs
- 1 cup coconut or almond milk
- 1/2 cup almond milk cheese
- 1 paleo baguette, sliced in cubes (I used Barely Bread)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- In a medium skillet, cook the bacon according to instructions
- Once cooked, remove from skillet and put on plate lined with paper towel (to absorb the grease) and set aside
- In the same pan, add the onion and kale (don't wash the pain out, leave the grease!)
- Cook for about 5-7 minutes on medium heat with a cover on top, until onions and kale are cooked through
- Remove from heat, and set aside
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and milk
- Add the sliced bread and mix well so all bread slices are coated and let it sit for 5 minutes
- Chop the bacon into smaller pieces
- Then add bacon, onion kale mixture, artichoke hards and almond milk cheese to the egg and bread mixture
- Pour onto a greased skillet or baking dish and cook in oven for 35-40 minutes
- Enjoy while warm!
- *Will stay good in airtight container for 5 days, do not leave in skillet!*