I’m not going to lie, I never had anything rhubarb related until a couple of summers ago when I was out in Montauk.
It wasn’t really much of a common ingredient, at least in my usual baking or eating routine. But the second I had a strawberry rhubarb dessert, I was sold.
I made these Strawberry Rhubarb Cupcakes just in time for my birthday last week. I didn’t know where to even find rhubarb in the produce section, nor did I know what it would look like. In case you are wondering, it comes in long pinkish-red stems, and you chop it up when cooking or baking.
I wanted to do something cupcake related for it and obviously turned to Simple Mills Vanilla Cake Mix for the key ingredient.
Simple Mills is basically a dream-come-true in a box. They sell a variety of baking mixes for cakes, muffins, pancakes and more. They also just launched a cracker line, which are pretty much amazing (and addicting). Their products are made with almond and coconut flours, coconut sugar, cassava and more. The best part? You can pronounce every ingredient!
It is a quality product babes, so definitely keep an eye out for it in your grocery store or order some online. And no, I’m not just saying that because I partner with them. I authentically love every single part of their brand and what they are doing – completely revolutionizing the baking aisle.
To make these Strawberry Rhubarb Cupcakes, I started by making a strawberry rhubarb jam. It is made relatively similar to my blueberry chia jam except with strawberries and chopped rhubarb. I simply added it to the cupcake mix before mixing fully so the cupcakes were all filled with that strawberry rhubarb taste.
I also used melted coconut oil for the Simple Mills baking mix instead of canola, so feel free to use any oil you prefer. I melted and cooled mine first.
To top off the cupcake, I made a super light vegan whipped cream with a can of coconut milk and coconut sugar. It was beyond easy to make and so much better for you than that packaged icing, I promise 😉
[bctt tweet=”Cupcakes made with Strawberry Rhubarb and topped with Vegan Whipped Cream”username=”rachLmansfield”]
Strawberry Rhubarb Cupcakes
Strawberry Rhubarb Jam
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (honey will work)
- 9 large strawberries sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped rhubarb (about 1 stalk)
Vegan Whipped Cream
- 1 can of full fat coconut milk refrigerated for at least 1 full day in the fridge upright
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar (or sweetener of your choice)
- Splash of vanilla extract
- 1 box of Simple Mills Vanilla Cake Mix (or your favorite cupcake mix)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Strawberry Rhubarb Jam:
- Place maple syrup, strawberries and rhubarb in a sauce pan and bring to a low boil
- Simmer for about 5-7 minutes then let cool for about 15-20 minutes
- Vegan Whipped Cream:
- Chill the bowl and mixer tools in the freezer for 20 minutes
- Scoop the coconut milk out of the can but don't let the liquid pour in, leave the liquidy part in the can (the milk will be pretty hard)
- Cream the coconut milk with your hand mixer for 2-3 minutes until it's creamy
- Add in the coconut sugar (or sweetener of your choice) and cream together for another minute or so
- Begin preparing the cupcakes according to the package (I used coconut oil instead of grapeseed or canola)
- Once the rhubarb jam is cooled, fold into the cupcake mix
- Pour batter into each cupcake liner and place in the oven to bake for 18-20 minutes; when cooled, top with Vegan Whipped Cream and additional strawberries if you'd like.