All my sweet potato lovers, this one is for YOU!
And all my Whole30 babes who are asking me for Jord’s favorite Whole30 recipes, you are going to love these. They saved Jord during Sunday night football and he cannot get enough still!
These Super Simple Paleo Sweet Potato Skins are seriously a dream come true. They are SO easy to make, filled with flavor and they have an avocado cream in the middle that is too die for. Plus even if you aren’t doing Whole30 or if you are scratching your head being like “what’s that?” you will too love these.
I have to admit, I really do enjoy experimenting with recipes to make them Whole30 now. After having to figure it all out for Jord and see what foods he could and couldn’t eat, it definitely tested my creativity in the kitchen.
These bacon sweet potato skins though… definitely one of our favs (and yes, I can say that now too!)
The skin of these potato skins is made with sweet potato instead of regular potato. You can of course use regular white potato if you prefer, but it is pretty fun switching things up a bit.
The avocado cream layer is made with ripe avocado and Whole30-approved mayo from Tessemae’s. Their Chesapeake Mayo was a STAPLE in our kitchen when J started Whole30 and it is still used for so many recipes and everyday eats. Tessemae’s makes a handful of our favorite dressings, condiments, marinades and more as you have seen on here a lot. They are all organic and a ton are Paleo, Whole30 and even Vegan. They make products that anyone can enjoy and they are filled with flavor. Even my brother (who likes to down canola oiled Italian dressing), is now obsessed!
The top of the sweet potato skins have crispy bacon (just look for bacon that is Whole30 friendly if you need) and you can use turkey, pig, any bacon you wish. Or if you don’t do meat, add some plant-based “meats” of sorts or more veggies for a little extra something.
WHAT YOU NEED
- When cooking the sweet potatoes, please be sure not to over cook. The skin will get too soft and your potato skin will be very messy and no crunch!
- These taste best the day of or you can make a few hours in advanced but they are tastiest when fresh
- If bacon ain’t your thing, add your favorite plant-based meat-like good or some extra veggies on top
Super Simple Paleo Sweet Potato Skins (Whole30-friendly)
- 5 large sweet potatoes
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/4 cup Tessemae's Chesapeake Mayo
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 6 slices of bacon, diced
- Preheat oven to 420 degrees
- Poke each potato a few times with a fork creating small holes around them, then place in oven to bake for about 30-35 minutes (you want them to be soft but not too soft or skin will be mushy)
- Let the potatoes cool for a bit and begin making the avocado cream
- Slice up the avocado and add to blender or food processor with mayo
- Blend until creamy and well combined (you can also add cilantro if you have, I ran out!)
- Slice each sweet potato open long ways
- Using a spoon, gently scoop out the "pulp" aka inside of the sweet potato until there is about ⅓ of the inside left and set aside for later use
- Place the skin-side-down of the sweet potato on a baking tray and pop back in the oven and broil for about 5 minutes (or until crispy)
- Mash the pulp of the sweet potato and add the garlic and pepper
- Begin assembling each potato skin by adding the mashed sweet potato, avocado cream, then the bacon onto each piece
- Enjoy while warm! You can also add additional chopped avocado or veggies of your choice!
Thank you Tessemae’s for sponsoring this post. It means so much to me to work with brands that I love and who support rachLmansfield!