Super Simple Turmeric Falafel made with simple and healthy ingredients!
The first recipe of 2017 is HERE friends!
I hope you all had the best holiday season. I don’t mean to sound like a cliche, but oh my gosh that went by too fast. Jord took off a week from work and it was such a treat having him home with me. Working from home gets lonely sometimes, ya know? He even came to my workouts and Whole Foods with me everyday. We did a lot of touristy city things for the holidays, went to see our families and basically were inseparable for the past couple weeks.
Okay but let’s talk about this Super Simple Turmeric Falafel recipe.. I know we are craving all them goods and looking for new recipes now that the holidays are over. When I was in my barre3 class yesterday, a friend of mine was saying she was headed to Trader Joe’s right from class to start meal prepping again. Back to work, back to reality, back to meal prepping.
I used to love meal prepping when I worked in an office. Yes, I am one of those nerds..
Spending a few hours on Sunday in the kitchen after grocery shopping making everything for the week, was so calming to me. It seriously saved me SO much time and helped prepare me a smoother week. It also helped prevent me from spending extra money on eating out since I knew I had food waiting for me at home or at my desk. I can promise you that these new turmeric falafels will be your motivation too 😉
Recently I have been on such a falafel kick. My mom bought some from Costco a few weeks ago and they were seriously amazing. Made with all real food, no additives and they are organic. I have been putting them in my pastas, zoodles, salads, anything!
When I ran out, I was going to make my Crispy Vegan Falafel, but wanted to do a turmeric-flavored one and modify the ingredients a bit.
They seriously turned out DREAMY you guys. I used dry chickpeas (soaked overnight) which I really think makes such a difference. Much creamier and a lot more fresh tasting. There is also tahini in this recipe and I don’t use any flour. Grain-free, vegan and made with all the spices, but most importantly turmeric.
I only use Simply Organic Turmeric in my kitchen (that goes for most spices to be honest) in this recipe. It is amazing to add this anti-inflammatory spice whenever we can. Golden milk, roasted veggies, anything. I also have been roasting carrots with turmeric on garlic and they taste like CANDY!
Simply Organic has been one of my favorite brands since I started baking and cooking. I use their vanilla extract and cinnamon in pretty much everything. Their spices and seasonings are grown and processed in an ethical and sustainable manner. They are even sourced through direct relationships with spice growers so no third party here. And they even give back. 1% of sales goes right back to the organic growers and their communities!
If you make these falafels, share with me on social or tell me below. I have been sharing a handful of your photos on my Instagram stories each week when you make my recipes. I love seeing the twist you babes put in them.
- 2 cups dry chickpeas (soaked overnight in medium bowl in warm water, doesn't matter water amount just make sure they are covered - i did not cook them at all)
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1.5 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 tablespoons parsley leaves
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Combine falafel ingredients in food processor and pulse together until ingredients are broken up and well combined (should be about a minute depending on your food processor)
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and spray well to prevent sticking
- Using your hands or spoon, scoop about 2 tablespoons of falafel dough and form into small patties and line across the baking tray
- Bake in oven for 10 minutes then carefully flip each falafel over and cook in oven for another 10 minutes
- Enjoy in a sandwich with pita bread, hummus, lettuce or in greek salad!
- *Will stay good in fridge for 5-7 days or you can freeze!
Thank you Simply Organic for sponsoring this post. It means so much to me to work with brands that I love and who support rachLmansfield!