There are seriously no words to describe how much I love these Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Bars. I was on the phone with my Mom the other day and she asked me what I was doing the rest of the afternoon. I responded and said “I have a clear afternoon so I might as well relax and bake or something”. She just laughed because baking is literally my way of relaxing.
When I’m in my kitchen (and by kitchen I mean the wall in my studio apartment), I am my happiest. I love sorting through my cabinets seeing what ingredients I have on hand and using them to make something new and delicious. My favorite is when I ask Jord if there is anything he is craving and he says “something good”. Not the most helpful response but hey, he’s an easy crowd pleaser 😉
I then say “give me an ingredient to base it around”.
This time it was “peanut butter”. From there I think about things I haven’t made in awhile or have been wanting to make. That’s when I realized, I have never made an actual bar recipe on the blog. We have brownies and such, but not one snack or breakfast or dessert bar has ever been made. I was mind boggled. I’m pretty embarrassed considering I am a bit of a bar-snob. I love having bars on hand in my gym bag or whenever I am on the run. They’re such an easy snack and can be nutritious if you pick the right one.
Now I can also snack on these Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Bars. They are seriously AMAZEBALLS. I am still in shock that they are vegan. No eggs! You probably could add them if you want to though, but definitely not necessary.
You can eat one of these for a snack, dessert or pair it with some fresh fruit or yogurt for breakfast. The chocolate drizzle on top makes them a lot fancier than they actually are (seriously, I wish photographed them before because they were actually kind of ugly!).
Now these bars also may have the most ingredients I have ever used before in a recipe but don’t let that intimidate you. They are so easy to make and once you take a bite, you will thank me (I hope!).
Here are the key ingredients:
- 1 cup old fashioned oatmeal
- 1 cup oat flour (oatmeal pulsed in food processor for a few seconds)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Sprinkle of cinnamon
- Splash of vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter (room temperature or warm)
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted peanuts
- 1/2 cup dairy free dark chocolate chips + 1/3 cup for drizzle
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- Grease an 8x8 baking dish
- Combine oatmeal, oat flour, baking powder, cinnamon, vanilla extract and almond milk together and mix well
- In a separate bowl, add the maple syrup and peanut butter together (if peanut butter is hard, pop in microwave for about 15-20 seconds to soften)
- Add to dry ingredients and add coconut sugar
- Mix well until everything is combined
- Fold in peanuts and chocolate chips
- Bake for about 20 minutes
- Let the bars cool for about 20-30 minutes
- Melt chocolate chips in microwave (I added coconut oil too) in 15 second increments until melted
- Drizzle across the bars in the baking dish
- Cut & enjoy!