Winter blows. I don’t mean to be a negative Nelly over here since it’s only November but I am seriously emo already about this cold weather in NYC. Gone are the days when I only need a light jacket, lululemon pants and my sneakers on when I leave the house. Now I will be wearing a puffy vest, jacket, scarf, mittens – well you get the idea.
This Warm Almond Breakfast Porridge is such a comforting breakfast bowl. It is cooked over the stove (yes you actually need to cook your oats today) and its filled with steel cut oats, creamy vanilla almond milk, flax seeds, chia seeds, raisins and of course topped with maple almond butter.
The combination in this porridge just makes me want to cozy up on my couch with my faux fur blanket and watch Netflix all day (which pretty much is my winter routine).
This bowl of Warm Almond Breakfast Porridge is hearty, filling, wholesome, flavorful and so perfect for winter.
Warm Almond Breakfast Porridge
- 1 1/2 cup vanilla almond milk (I used New Barn so it's creamier)
- 1/2 cup of steel cut oatmeal
- 1/2 tablespoon of chia seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon of flax seeds
- 1/4 cup of raisins
- 1 tablespoon of maple almond butter
- Sprinkle of cinnamon
- Splash of almond extract
- Bring the almond milk to boil
- Add steel cut oats, chia, flax and raisins to milk, cover & simmer
- Let it cook for 15-20 minutes until the milk fully absorbed
- Pour into a bowl and add almond extract, cinnamon & almond butter