You ask and you shall receive babes.
Introducing my first ever non-banana sweet bread. This Chocolate Chip Chia Zucchini Breakfast Bread is basically everything you guys have been asking for in one easy and delicious breakfast bread.
First of all, a ton of you asked for a zucchini bread. I can’t blame you because zucchini bread is pretty much one of my favorites so the extra nudge you gave me was very much appreciated. Also a handful of you wanted a completely vegan sweet bread to make. As an egg lover, I don’t frequently bake without eggs but I was 100% up for the challenge for this recipe. Finally, a few of you ask for banana bread but without bananas (I know, weird). I’m assuming it is because you must be allergic to bananas? Otherwise I will never understand. But then again, I am a banana hoarder so you also may think I am a weirdo considering I eat 1-2 bananas a day 🙂
As a result, we have Chocolate Chip Chia Zucchini Breakfast Bread that is paleo AND vegan. Yup, this is like the trifecta of breakfast breads for you. Zucchini bread, no bananas and it is vegan. I threw in the paleo part for good measure since nothing beats a solid grain-free breakfast bread.
When you make this zucchini bread, just a heads up that it is actually one of the ugliest foods I have ever seen. Hence the chocolate drizzle all over it because I tried to make it some what prettier. A+ for effort right?
This loaf is also made with chia egg and is very “spongey”. Just a heads up when you are baking it. I loved the consistency the chia egg added the zucchini and think the combination is delicious. But if chia seeds aren’t your thing, you have been warned.
[bctt tweet=”Paleo & Vegan Chocolate Chip Chia Zucchini Bread” username=”rachLmansfield”]Print
Chocolate Chip Chia Zucchini Breakfast Bread (paleo & vegan)
- Yield: 8-10 slices 1x
- Category: gluten-free, vegan, paleo
- Cuisine: breakfast, snack, dessert
- 2 cups almond meal or almond flour (i have not tested other flours)
- 1 cup shredded zucchini (squeeze the water out like CRAZY!)
- 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 1/4 cup ground chia + 3/4 water (to make chia egg, and I have not tested with regular eggs)
- ¾ cup apple sauce
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup maple syrup (honey or agave will work)
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips (make sure paleo and/or vegan if needed)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease bread pan (I used 8.5 x 4.5 x 2.5)
- Make chia egg by combining 1/4 cup ground chia and water in a small bowl and mix (this is different than chia seeds, if you do not have ground chia simply grind some chia seeds in a nutribullet or food processor)
- Place in fridge so it forms a gel-like consistency
- Strain all the zucchini and squeeze out any extra water, I used paper towels for this (this part is KEY!)
- Mix together almond meal, zucchini, baking soda, coconut oil, applesauce, vanilla extract, cinnamon, maple syrup and chia egg with a spatula
- Fold in dark chocolate chips and mix well
- Bake in oven for 35-45 minutes or until toothpick test turns out clean
- Enjoy within 5-7 days, you can also freeze for longer