Baked Paleo Apple Cider Donuts made with all grain-free, gluten-free and vegan ingredients for a delicious homemade low sugar apple donut recipe!
Every single Fall growing up, my family would go apple picking. It still is a tradition for us, except now I am quite particular on which orchard we go to because I like to make sure no pesticides are used. Organic farms are hard to find since the certification is so pricey, so I personally just want the no pesticides and non-GMO certification if possible.
We stock up on every single big ass juicy apple and I come home with baskets of them. As a self-proclaimed apple connoisseur, I take the apple picking tradition quite seriously.
But you know what the other part of the tradition is? Getting some traditional apple cider DONUTS. We always get the powdered sugar, cinnamon sugar and plain. Like to mix things up then my Dad and Jord divide them amongst themselves so we all take home some of each.
Yes real apple cider donuts are amazing and nothing really compares to them, but I did make us some EPIC Paleo Apple Cider Donuts that even Jord, the king donut eater, is obsessed with. He texted me this morning and said “this donuts are really so good”. That’s how you know they’re good friends.
These donuts are also gluten-free, vegan and made with no eggs. They’re sweetened with dates and I use unsweetened applesauce instead of cider with a few delicious spices to give it the best flavor. You can also add some chopped up apples inside if you want a little extra something!
I use a mix of almond flour and Better Body Foods coconut flour for the flour, making these donuts have some extra healthy fats and protein. Plus the top is sprinkled with a delicious cinnamon crumb topping sweetened with Better Body Foods coconut sugar (it is so good!).
If you don’t have a donut pan, you can denfitely make these into muffins. I personally haven’t tried so please watch the bake time. I’d guess anywhere from 12-15 minutes, but keep me posted!
If you do make these donuts, don’t forget to share with me on Instagram! I cannot wait to see what you think. And not to worry, more fall recipes coming your way ASAP!
- 1 cup unsweetened organic applesauce
- 10 pitted medjool dates
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup creamy nut or seed butter
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1/4 cup almond flour
- 2 tablespoons Better Body Foods coconut flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a donut pan with coconut oil
- In a food processor, blend together the applesauce, dates, vanilla extract and nut butter together until dates are almost completely broken up and well blended
- Add in the baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, almond flour and coconut flour and blend again until the batter is thick and well combined (scrape the edges of the food processor too!)
- Add donut batter to the donut pan and evenly spread with a spoon
- Mix together the crumb topping then sprinkle on top
- Bake in oven for 20 minutes then cover with foil and bake for another 8-10 minutes
- Allow the donuts to cool for about 10 minutes then gently remove
Store leftovers on counter for 5 days or in the freezer for a couple of months!
You can also make these into muffins. I haven't tested this personally but I'd recommend baking for 12 minutes then checking on them until ready!
Thank you Better Body Foods for sponsoring this recipe!