Healthy Gooey Double Chocolate Pumpkin Cupcakes made with all vegan and paleo ingredients for an easy homemade cupcake recipe filled with dark chocolate!
This recipe has me wondering why I haven’t been baking my own homemade cupcakes for forever.
These Healthy Gooey Double Chocolate PUMPKIN Cupcakes are absolutely insane. They’re so chocolatey and rich and to be honest, you don’t even taste the pumpkin. It is really there for consistency and the texture it adds to the cupcakes. If you’re craving something a bit more “fall” and pumpkin spice, feel free to add in your favorite pumpkin spice blend. It will taste amazing too.
These cupcakes though. They’re paleo, vegan and free of any refined sugar. It isn’t too common in the baking world to have a recipe that is both vegan and paleo and actually tastes good. From my past experience, it has been dry or the texture was off but today these cupcakes are going to prove to us that paleo and vegan baked goods can taste flipping GOOD.
I love that this recipe is made with all simple and easy ingredients. Many of the usual suspects around here like flax egg, liquid coconut oil, almond flour and my beloved, Hu Kitchen Dark Chocolate. Baking with Hu’s chocolate has taken my baking up a few notches. They create the most epic flavored dark chocolate bars like Cashew Butter & Vanilla Bean, Hazelnut Butter and more. I use some of their dark chocolate and melt it to add into the batter. That is what gives this recipe the extra rich chocolate factor. I also use a pinch of their organic coffee in this recipe too!
You can smear some homemade ganache (recipe here) on top of these cupcakes and go to TOWN. I gave some to friends and family and we were all loving them. Someone remind me to bake these again for my birthday 😉
Healthy Gooey Double Chocolate Pumpkin Cupcakes
- 3 flax eggs (3 tablespoons ground flax + 9 tablespoons water)*
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup organic pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup liquid coconut oil
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 3/4 cup cacao powder
- 2/3 cup almond flour (I haven't tested other flours but oat and spelt would likely work)
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Hu Kitchen Organic Coffee (ground into powder form)
- 1/4 cup Hu Kitchen Salty Dark Chocolate, melted
- Topping: Chocolate ganache
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a muffin tin with liners or grease with coconut oil
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flax eggs, vanilla, pumpkin, coconut oil and maple syrup
- Mix in the cacao powder, almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder and coffee until evenly combined
- Stir in the melted dark chocolate and mix well
- Add batter to the muffin tin (should fill about 3/4 way)
- Bake for 20-25 minutes and allow to cool before frosting
Store in airtight container for 5 days on counter or freeze for a couple months.
*If using pasture-raised eggs, you may need a bit more almond flour if the batter looks too liquidy!
Thank you Hu Kitchen for sponsoring this post! It means so much to me to work with brands I love and believe in!