What is it about crunchy toasted bread that gets me every time?! Ever since being pregnant, my love for bread has gone from 0 to 100 in what feels like overnight. I’m constantly craving carbs, fats and protein (and obv sweets) but heavy on the carbs.
Needless to say I have been getting pretty creative with my toast ideas when I’m up for it. This Summer Bruschetta Toast with Cashew Green Pesto is my latest favorite and it makes for an easy lunch, appetizer for guests, anything! The recipe is entirely plant-based, gluten-free and anything pesto entices me cause that flavaaaa!
To make the pesto plant-based, I used raw cashews, garlic, basil leaves, avocado oil and Organic Girl’s new REBEL Greens. The REBEL Greens are baby bok choy leaves, which are set to be even more nutritious than baby kale. It’s like the forgotten child of the greens fam. I find them at the local organic store here in Hoboken but any retailer with Organic Girl greens should carry it! I mixed with a bit of basil too because there is nothing like some basil flavoring in pesto.
Spread some of the pesto on top of the toast with a little tomato/onion mixture with some fresh avocado. You can also add some non-dairy free cheese or feta or goat’s cheese. I have done them all and each equally delicious.
As soon as you take your first bite of the toast. You’ll know why I have been making this on repeat. I cannot wait to hear what you guys think!
Here are a few of my favorite favorite Organic Girl recipes on the blog for you to whip up too: Vegan Rainbow Rolls with Spicy Almond Butter Sauce, Whole30 Loaded Veggie Burgers and Savory Zucchini Waffle Fritters.
Cashew Green Pesto
- 2 cups Organic Girl REBEL Greens
- 1/4 cup organic basil leaves
- 1 organic garlic clove
- 4 tablespoons olive or avocado oil
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1/3 cup chopped tomatoes and onions
- 4 slices bread of choice (I have used sour dough and also gluten-free..both great!)
- Non-dairy cheese of choice (or use feta or goat too!)
- Red pepper flakes for garnish
- In a food processor, combine all pesto ingredients until well combined. If toot thick, add more oil and if too thin, add more nuts!
- Toast the bread to your liking then spread pesto on top and add the chopped tomatoes, non-dairy cheese and red pepper flakes!
Leftover pesto will stay good in the fridge for up to a week or freezer for a month
Thank you Organic Girl for sponsoring this post. It means so much to me to work with brands I love and believe in on the blog!