Sharing one of my favorite banana bread recipes from my bestie. Katy’s insane gluten-free Birthday Cake Banana Bread!
I have never made someone else’s banana bread recipe besides the original one from my mama.
When I saw my bestie share the most insane looking birthday cake banana bread over on her Instagram a couple months ago, I immediately flagged it and saved it in my archives. My birthday is in the next couple of weeks and what better recipe to make than a birthday cake banana bread?!
But if we are being honest, I will be making this banana bread all year around. Not just for my birthday because it is too good to not have more often.
It is pretty genius to put sprinkles into banana bread yet not many are doing it. When I went over to my local Whole Foods, I snagged some organic sprinkles and knew I had to whip this up using them.
I love that this birthday cake banana bread is made with all gluten-free ingredients and it is so flavorful, sweetened with maple syrup and hands down one of the best healthier banana breads.
This recipe is pretty versatile when it comes to subs. I haven’t yet tested everything below but incase you are missing a few ingredients, I name some other options that may work. If you do try some of these, please let us know in the comments below. And don’t forget to head on over to Katy’s Instagram for some kick a$$ food and funny stories about her kids 😉
Ingredients needed to make gluten-free birthday cake banana bread:
- Butter – Katy’s OG recipe calls for real butter that she browns. I use that here too but you can also melt vegan butter or some coconut oil I’m sure would work too. Not sure exact amount of oil but I’d guess 1/3 cup liquid form.
- Eggs – you can likely sub flax egg too.
- Bananas – extra ripe freckled bananas. The more ripe, the sweeter your bread will be!
- Yogurt – any yogurt works, dairy-free or dairy-based. Use what you have. Katy uses sour cream in her recipe.
- Maple syrup – the other sugar here with banana. You can also use honey too.
- Gluten-free oat flour – or regular oat flour or spelt flour works.
- Sprinkles – technically optional but they are the best part of this recipe!
Gluten-free Birthday Cake Banana Bread
Sharing one of my favorite banana bread recipes from my bestie, this Birthday Cake Banana Bread. Made with all gluten-free ingredients.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 60 mins
- Total Time: 70 mins
- Yield: 8-10 slices 1x
- 1 stick (1/2 cup butter or sub vegan butter)*
- 2 large spotty bananas, mashed (or 3 smaller)
- 2 eggs*
- 1/2 cup maple syrup*
- 1/4 cup yogurt of choice (can be dairy-free or dairy-based)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup gluten-free oat flour*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Sprinkles of choice (I used these organic ones)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a bread/loaf pan with parchment paper
- In a small skillet begin to brown the butter by adding to a pan and melting over medium heat (stir occasionally) until butter starts to brown and has a “nutty” scent
- Allow the butter to cool for a few then whisk together the mashed bananas, eggs, syrup, yogurt, extract and butter until smooth
- Mix in the oat flour and baking powder until smooth and creamy
- Fold in sprinkles then add to loaf pan and bake in oven for about 1 hour (patience here.. I know!)
- Slice and enjoy!
*I haven’t tested subs
**Store in airtight container for 5 days or freezer for 2 months