Sharing one of my favorite gluten-free banana bread recipes ever. With brown butter, which is a game changer for all things banana bread.
I have never made someone else’s banana bread recipe besides the original one from my mama.
But if we are being honest, I will be making this banana bread all year around. Not just for my birthday because it is too good to not have more often.
It is pretty genius to put sprinkles into banana bread yet not many are doing it. When I went over to my local Whole Foods, I snagged some organic sprinkles and knew I had to whip this up using them.
I love that this birthday cake banana bread is made with all gluten-free ingredients and it is so flavorful, sweetened with maple syrup and hands down one of the best healthier banana breads.
This recipe is pretty versatile when it comes to subs. I haven’t yet tested everything below but incase you are missing a few ingredients, I name some other options that may work. If you do try some of these, please let us know in the comments below.
Ingredients needed to make gluten-free birthday cake banana bread:
- Butter – brown butter baby!
- Eggs – you can likely sub flax egg too.
- Bananas – extra ripe freckled bananas. The more ripe, the sweeter your bread will be!
- Yogurt – any yogurt works, dairy-free or dairy-based. Use what you have. Katy uses sour cream in her recipe.
- Maple syrup – the other sugar here with banana. You can also use honey too.
- Gluten-free oat flour – or regular oat flour or spelt flour works.
- Sprinkles – technically optional but they are the best part of this recipe!
Gluten-free Birthday Cake Banana Bread
Sharing one of my favorite banana bread recipes from my bestie, this Birthday Cake Banana Bread. Made with all gluten-free ingredients.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 60 mins
- Total Time: 70 mins
Yield: 8-10 slices 1x
- 1 stick (1/2 cup butter or sub vegan butter)*
- 2 medium spotty bananas, mashed (or 3 smaller)
- 2 eggs*
- 1/2 cup maple syrup*
- 1/4 cup yogurt of choice (can be dairy-free or dairy-based)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/4 cup gluten-free oat flour*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Sprinkles of choice (I used these organic ones)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a bread/loaf pan with parchment paper
- In a small skillet begin to brown the butter by adding to a pan and melting over medium heat (stir occasionally) until butter starts to brown and has a “nutty” scent
- Allow the butter to cool for a few then whisk together the mashed bananas, eggs, syrup, yogurt, extract and butter until smooth
- Mix in the oat flour and baking powder until smooth and creamy
- Fold in sprinkles then add to loaf pan and bake in oven for about 1 hour (patience here.. I know!)
- Slice and enjoy!
*I haven’t tested subs
**Store in airtight container for 5 days or freezer for 2 months
I could not wait to make this one! While baking, my house smelled AMAZING!! I watched it rise in the oven, I let itc stay the full hour, but as it cooled, it sank and when I went to cut it, it was still mushy. What do you think went wrong? I followed to a tee. I didn’t use a mixer, just mixed by hand, should I have used a mixer you think? It tastes AMAZING, but didn’t come out right. Boo!! S.O.S
sounds like the ratios were off a bit. maybe too much banana or yogurt? not enough flour??
Have you tried any grain free flour subs for this recipe? Thank you!
i haven’t but this blog post on oat flour 101 may be helpful!!
This banana bread tasted as good as it smelled!
I was so excited to see this recipe called for almond extract. It added just the right amount of flavor to the bread. I did sub King Arthur All Purpose White flour in absence of oat flour (and I can eat gluten) and felt the batter was a little mushy so I added a couple extra table spoons until it was thickened. Loved the end result! Will be making again next time I end up with overripe bananas.
awwww yay!!! xx
Hi! Just wanted to say I subbed flax eggs and used shredded coconut instead of sprinkles and it was a big hit! Tasted amazing. Subs totally worked! 🙂
Can you make this in a round pan instead of a loaf pan? Any difference in amount of time to bake? I have a 7” pan – I’m thinking about stacking the layers to make a round cake!
i don’t see why not! probably 20-25 minutes but definitely check on it
This is DELICIOUS!!! I subbed oat flour with all purpose flour and was still perfect. Highly recommend!!
One question: does it have to be stored in the fridge bc of the yogurt?
SO FREAKING GOOD!! you wouldn’t believe it’s gluten free! the birthday cake flavor is FABULOUS! i used half honey & half coconut sugar because i was out of maple syrup! thanks so much for sharing!