Gluten-free Breakfast Sausage and Egg Casserole made with all gluten-free and dairy-free ingredients. One of my favorites to make for the week and have for an easy and quick meal!
Note to self: casseroles and quiches are delicious to eat but not as fun to photograph as some banana bread – ha!
After I made this recipe the first time and shared it over on my Instagram stories, you guys were going crazy for the recipe. I whipped it up again since my whole family loved it. Plus I couldn’t not share this new recipe idea with you guys!
I found some ground breakfast sausage in my freezer, which is what originally inspired this recipe. And I wanted to use up everything I had in my freezer as you guys know that is my favorite (more on that here).
I also had some extra loaves of bread in there, one being a grain-free loaf, which I lightly toasted that as well to add into this recipe.
What I love about this healthier gluten-free egg and sausage casserole is how versatile it is and easy to make and have for the whole week.
We got about 4-5 servings from this and Ezra loved it so much too. He eats pretty much everything we eat (for now..) and I was shocked he didn’t require extra ketchup. Usually the only way he’ll eat eggs is by adding ketchup!
Let’s run through the ingredients needed for this recipe:
- Ground breakfast sausage – you can also use a vegan sausage or any other meat you prefer
- Eggs – the main star of the show
- Full-fat coconut milk – I like using the one from a can here. It adds extra flavor and great consistency to the dish but you can use another milk as well
- Bread of choice – any bread you have/love works. Toast up a few slices so it is lightly toasted then cut up and add to dish!
- Optional mix-in ideas: cheese, dairy-free cheese, roasted veggies, scallions, anything!
If you enjoy this, share with me over on Instagram! Or comment below 🙂 I love hearing from you guys!
Healthy Breakfast Sausage and Egg Casserole (gluten-free)
Healthy Breakfast Sausage and Egg Casserole made with all gluten-free and dairy-free ingredients. One of my favorites to make for the week and have for an easy and quick meal!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
Yield: Serves 4-5 1x
- 1 lb breakfast sausage (uncooked)
- 5 pieces bread of choice (I used a grain-free one from my freezer)
- 6 pasture-raised eggs
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk (or sub your preferred milk)
- Optional mix-in’s: any cooked veggies like caramelized onions, mushrooms, etc. Any cheese or non-dairy cheeses
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat and slightly grease with some avocado oil
- Add the sausage to pan and use a spatula to break into pieces and cook for about 5-7 minutes or until sausage is brown
- Remove sausage from skillet and add to a paper towel lined plate to absorb the oil
- Lightly toast bread then slice into small pieces
- Grease the skillet with avocado oil then evenly spread the bread pieces across followed by sausage and veggies if using
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk and salt + pepper
- Sprinkle some cheese or non-dairy cheese on top if desired
- Pour egg mixture into the skillet and bake for about 30 minutes or until ready
*Store leftovers in fridge for 5 days
**You can also cook this in an 8×8 or 9×9 dish if you don’t have a cast iron. Just cook the sausage in a regular pan (I love using the cast iron for less clean up after!)