In college, you could find me in the dining hall eating a microwaved rice krispie treat at least 5 days a week.
I die for rice krispie treats, but not those ones in the blue wrapper from the mass produced company. I’m talking homemade rice krispie treats that are actually the best things on the planet.
They are usually filled with a ton of added sugar and marshmallows, which isn’t something I like to eat often. It has taken me way too long to finally make my own Healthier Nutty Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats, but they are finally here. And they are GOOD! Like finger-licking, going-back-for-seconds kind of good.
And the best part? No marshmallows are needed! Now don’t get me wrong, there’s nothing wrong with marshmallows every once in awhile (hello s’mores), but when I want a krispie treat often, I’d prefer no corn syrups!
These Healthier Nutty Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats also have a chocolatey blast in it since I use One Degree Organic Food’s Sprouted Brown Rice Cacao Crisps. They are amazing. Think cacao krispies but healthier, easier to digest and organic. Hi, that is heavenly!
Instead of the marshmallows, we use creamy nut butter, maple syrup and coconut oil for that sticky mixture. These Healthier Nutty Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats are also Dad-approved, which is not an easy task. My Dad is truly a human garbage disposal, but when it comes to desserts he likes the classics. So when I know he goes for seconds and thirds on one of my recipes, it must be really good.
WHAT YOU NEED
Maple syrup or honey
Healthier Nutty Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats (vegan + gluten-free)
- Yield: 9 treats 1x
- Category: vegan, gluten-free
- Cuisine: dessert
- 2½ cups One Degree Organic Goods Sprouted Brown Rice Cacao Crisps
- ½ cup creamy nut butter
- ⅓ cup maple syrup or honey
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- In a small sauce pan add the nut butter, maple syrup or honey and coconut oil
- Stir constantly for about 2-3 minutes on low heat until melted (you don’t want it to burn which it will easily)
- Once melted, pour in a large bowl filled with the brown rice crisps
- Mix well so the rice crisps are covered
- Pour into a greased 8×8 baking dish and press down with spatula
- Let the dish sit on counter for a few minutes and begin melting dark chocolate (I used microwave)
- Pour over top of the krispie treats and smooth over with spatula
- Let them settle for a bit or you can put in fridge to expedite
- Cut into 9 bars and enjoy!
- *Store on counter for a few days
Thank you One Degree Organic Foods for sponsoring this post! It means so much to me to work with brands I love and believe in!