Find me a recipe more comforting and cozy than a homemade macaroni and cheese.
It is always a go-to over here and a crowd pleaser. Who says no to mac ‘n cheese?! Especially when it is lightened a bit (okay a whole lot) and made healthy ingredients like this one.
Most vegan mac and cheeses I have come across use cream cheese, nuts or tofu to make that cheesy sauce. I even have a creamy pasta recipe with cashews here on the blog but I know many of you have a nut allergy, so we are making an epic Healthy Baked Mac & Cheese that is nut-free, vegan and gluten-free. And YES – I promise it still tastes as dreamy as you want it to be.
I love that this pasta turns out super creamy and the topping is a bit crispy from baking and broiling it in the oven. I also sneak in some extra veggies from Organic Girl and use their baby arugula and spinach mix. Baby arugula and spinach are always my favorite type of greens to combine together and keep on hand. They get a little wilted on top and softened in the pasta when it bakes. You can also easily blend the greens in the sauce if you’d like as well but I prefer to keep the color as “classic” as possible.
To make this cheesy cheese-less sauce, you will need only a few ingredients like full-fat coconut milk, organic sweet potato puree and SO many spices. The more the better if you ask me with spices. I love the hidden cayenne and paprika in the sauce and it adds a subtle but delicious flavor to the macaroni.
I usually like to serve this with some chicken or a protein of sorts. I bet adding chicken IN the pasta when baking would be delicious too. Next time I will be trying that for sure!
Don’t forget to share your Healthy Baked Mac & Cheese with me on Instagram! I cannot wait to hear what you guys think of this recipe. Here are a few of my other favorite macaroni recipes from the blog too: 5-ingredient Creamy Squash Pasta and Creamy Avocado Arugula Pesto Pasta.Print
Healthy Baked Vegan Mac & Cheese
Healthy Baked Vegan Mac & Cheese made with all gluten-free, nut-free and plant-based ingredients for a healthier macaroni recipe!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 3-4 1x
- 8 ounces gluten-free pasta of choice (I love this one and this one)
- 1 cup Organic Girl greens of choice (I used the baby arugula + spinach mix)
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 3/4 cup organic sweet potato puree (or sub pumpkin just make sure it is unsweetened!)
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk (shake the can so it is evenly mixed)
- 1 tablespoon tapioca or arrowroot flour
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Sea salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 5 tablespoons flour of choice (almond, oat, or spelt are great – coconut flour may need to be 3 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Cook the 8 ounces of pasta according to the package then rinse in cold water once done
- Add the avocado oil to a large cast iron skillet (or baking dish) then add the pasta and mix in the greens
- Blend together the cheese sauce until creamy then fold into pasta and evenly mix
- In a small bowl, mix the flour, oil and garlic powder then sprinkle on top of macaroni
- Bake in oven for 20 minutes then broil for 1-2 minutes to crisp and enjoy!
Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 5 days and reheat in microwave or over stovetop with a splash of milk or water
Thank you Organic Girl for sponsoring this post. It means so much to me to partner with brands and I love and believe in!