A life without onion rings, is not the life for me. Dats fo SHO.
But the chances of finding onion rings that aren’t deep fried in canola oil and heavily breaded are pretty rare. Sure, it is absolutely okay to eat onion rings out to dinner and enjoy them! But it is also more than okay to crave onion rings on the reg (aka me) and I try not to eat deep fried foods too frequently, like most of us.
Insert these Healthy Stovetop Vegan Onion Rings! Made with just a few ingredients and crisped to perfection in my skillet over the stove. No processed oils or heavy breadcrumbs in this recipe either. Just some quality flour from One Degree Organic Foods, spices, nut milk and your onions of choice. I used Vidalia because it’s what I had on hand and I was too lazy to go to the store and get new ones (true story).
I could not believe how delicious the coating of the onion rings are. I use One Degree Organic Foods Sprouted Spelt Flour and mix it with some tapioca flour. Sprouted spelt flour does have gluten and is not gluten-free, but many who have difficulty digesting gluten or wheat, can indeed eat spelt flour (more recipes here). It is such an easy an versatile flour to use since you can bake or cook with it. I absolutely love One Degree Organic Food’s Sprouted Spelt Flour because it is quality flour and it is sprouted, making it easier to digest.
The frying of the onion rings over the stove turns out best when you use avocado oil because of the high heat threshold. You can definitely use olive oil but it may get a little smokey, so you have been warned 🙂
These Healthy Stovetop Vegan Onion Rings are going to speak to your soul friends. I cannot wait for you to try them!
WHAT YOU NEED
Vidalia Onion (or your preferred onion)
Tapioca flour (or arrowroot flour)
Healthy Stovetop Vegan Onion Rings
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 3-4 people 1x
- Category: vegan, dairy-free
- Cuisine: dinner, side
- 1 cup One Degree Organics Sprouted Spelt Flour (or sub oat flour)
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup almond milk (or your preferred non-dairy milk)
- 2 medium onions, sliced in 1/2 inch thick pieces
- Avocado oil (best for these)
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour and spices well
- In another bowl add the almond milk
- Heat your skillet (I used cast iron skillet) with a generous pour of avocado oil and turn to medium heat
- Dip each piece of the onion into the milk then into the flour mixture (shaking off any clumps or excess flour) then add to warmed skillet and cook for about 3 minutes and then flip and cook for another 3 minutes or until crispy
- Repeat for all of the onions and then enjoy!
- *You can also keep the oven on and add the cooked onion rings to a baking tray and keep in oven so they stay warm until all the onion rings are cooked
Thank you One Degree Organics for sponsoring this post! It means so much to me to work with brands I love and believe in on the blog!