The Best Vegan Carrot Cake made with simple ingredients like almond flour, gluten-free oat flour and sweetened with coconut sugar! A healthy and easy gluten-free recipe when the carrot cake craving hits.
The BEST ever healthy carrot cake is here!
I teased this recipe over on Instagram a couple of weeks ago, and you guys went crazy. I didn’t realize there was so much love over carrot cake! Jord and I are personally huge carrot cake lovers, which is shocking since I love chocolate so much. But carrot cake is truly one of my favorite desserts to enjoy when I want to switch things up.
I love making my Vegan Carrot Cake Bread for a healthier breakfast recipe or brunch to enjoy, but this recipe takes things up a notch.
This Vegan Gluten-free Carrot Cake is the best dessert to bake for any occasion, holidays, random family nights at home or when you are solo and just want to bake and eat something delicious.
Let’s run through what ingredients we need to make this carrot cake:
- Unsweetened applesauce – This helps make the cake extra moist. I recommend using unsweetened (check the label!) because it is a waste of sugar otherwise and some brands cane extra sneaky adding in unnecessary sugars.
- Flax eggs – I haven’t tried regular egg but it may work. I use Garden of Life Organic Ground Flax to make mine.
- Non-dairy milk – any works. Again, check the label for added sugars and even gums because they aren’t needed.
- Coconut oil – I love using Garden of Life’s Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil. I melt it then let it cool for a few.
- Coconut sugar – this is the only added sugar to this recipe. It adds just the right amount of sweetness.
- Gluten-free oat flour – any oat flour works as well as spelt flour!
- Almond flour – I haven’t tested another sub here
- Chopped pecans – optional but I love the crunch
- Grated carrots – the main star!
Don’t forget about those epic Zucchini Carrot Cake Muffins from JTGS and that Gluten-free Pecan Carrot Cookie Cake (egg-free +grain-free) and Chocolate Chunk Oatmeal Cookie Carrot Cake Bars (gluten-free).Print
The Best Vegan Gluten-free Carrot Cake
The Best Vegan Gluten-free Carrot Cake made with simple ingredients like almond flour, gluten-free oat flour and sweetened with coconut sugar! A healthy and easy recipe when the carrot cake craving hits.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 9 pieces/bars 1x
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons Garden of Life organic flaxseed + 5 tablespoons water)*
- 1/3 cup Garden of Life organic coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 3/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 cup gluten-free oat flour*
- 1/3 cup almond flour*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 3/4 cup shredded organic carrots
- Frosting if desired (I used this one)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease an 8×8 baking dish with oil and/or line with parchment paper
- Whisk together applesauce, eggs, oil, milk and vanilla
- Mix in coconut sugar, flours, baking powder and cinnamon until smooth and creamy
- Fold in carrots and pecans then add to baking dish
- Bake in oven for 25-30 minutes
- Allow take to cool for a few minutes then ice and enjoy
****I haven’t tested subs. Please sub at your own risk 🙂
**Store leftovers in airtight container for 5 days or freezer for longer