The dreamiest Vegan Lemon Blueberry Breakfast Bread made with all gluten-free and nut-free ingredients
This won’t come as a surprise to most but, I have made and eaten a lot of sweet breads in my life.
There my go-to when I am in the mood for baking something and they’re my favorite to keep around for breakfast, sneaking and dessert. It’s like the trifecta over here.
Today’s bread is one that has been requested for what feels like forever. I shared a Paleo Lemon Berry Pound Cake last year and since then, many of you beautiful humans have been asking for a vegan and nut-free version. And today is the day, friends!
This healthy bread tastes like blueberry muffins and lemon poppy seed muffins in one!
We have a healthy Lemon Blueberry Breakfast Bread that is gluten-free, nut-free and plant-based. It is extra cakey and “moist” and full of flavor, but just the right amount of lemon. I’m not a huge fan of when lemon overpowers a recipe and prefer just the subtle splash of it in each bite. If you do like things more lemon-y just add a couple more tablespoons of lemon juice or zest.
I use ingredients for this that you likely already have in your pantry if you are used to baking recipes from the blog. We can use either gluten-free oat flour, spelt flour, brown rice flour and probably even an all purpose flour if you prefer. I haven’t tested grain-free ones here (this recipe is grain-free though). Instead of using eggs in this, we are making flax egg using Garden of Life’s Organic Flaxseed – an absolute staple in my pantry along with their coconut oil.
This Vegan Lemon Blueberry Breakfast Bread takes all of 5 minutes to prep and about 50 minutes to bake. Enjoy it with some nut butter smear on top with fresh berries or as is.
Now let’s hop to it…
Vegan Lemon Blueberry Breakfast Bread
- 2 tablespoons Garden of Life Organic Flaxseed mixed with 6 tablespoons warm water**
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup Garden of Life Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, melted and cooled
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 2 cups gluten-free oat flour (or sub spelt flour, gluten-free all purpose or brown rice flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup organic fresh blueberries*
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a bread dish with parchment paper/grease well
- Mix together the flaxseed and water and in a small bowl and place in fridge for a few minutes to form "flax eggs"
- In a large bowl, mix together the applesauce, coconut oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, vanilla extract and flax egg until smooth and well combined
- Mix in the coconut sugar, flour, baking powder and cinnamon so there are no clumps and batter is smooth and creamy
- Fold in blueberries then add batter to bread dish
- Bake in oven for 50-60 minutes, or until ready (I test with toothpick!)
*Fresh works best but if using frozen, toss the blueberries in a bit of flour so they aren't so watery
**You can sub 2 pasture-raised eggs too
Thank you Garden of Life for sponsoring this post. I love being able to spread the love about brands I use everyday!