Banana-Sweetened Paleo Breakfast Cake made with ingredients like almond flour, nut butter and sweetened with a little banana!
For all my banana loving friends, this one is for you!
Cake for breakfast? Yup, you read that right. I made us this Banana-Sweetened Paleo Breakfast Cake and will officially be eating cake for breakfast for the foreseeable future.
This Banana-Sweetened Paleo Breakfast Cake is made with just seven ingredients and is gluten-free, grain-free and dairy-free.
Plus the only added sugar comes from the natural sweetness of the ripe banana. No maple syrup, coconut sugar, nada! Yes, I 100% added chocolate chips at the list minute (I will blame the pregnancy cravings there) but after testing this a few times without any, I can assure you this cake is delicious with or without the added chocolate! I also have added in chopped pecans to spice things up, which was epic for an extra crunchy somethin’ in the cake too.
I love warming up a slice of this cake and pairing it with some coconut yogurt, granola and anything else I have handy and am craving for breakfast. Or let’s be real, it tastes delicious as a snack or dessert too. A solid lower sugar option for anyone who isn’t eating added sugars at the moment or just wants a little something lighter but still tasty.
I use ingredients like creamy nut butter, almond flour and tapioca flour to make the cake.
If you are a frequent baker, there is a 99.9% chance you are also using these two gems in your baking at home. In my opinion, they are two of the most underrated ingredients when it comes to baking. I use Simply Organic’s Pure Vanilla Extract, which is derived from vanilla beans grown in Madagascar (um, awesome!). It has no sugar or artificial ingredients and just adds a pure organic taste to anything you bake with it.
Their organic cinnamon is one of my personal faves and addictions. It is a Vietnamese cinnamon, which has a deep and rich cinnamon-y flavor with just the right amount of sweetness. I sprinkle this on pretty much everything! Hands down my favorite spice ever. Banana + cinnamon + peanut butter is literally the best combo in the whole world.
This Banana-Sweetened Paleo Breakfast Cake is: lightly sweetened, extra moist from the ripe banana and so simple and easy to make. I hope you guys love it as much as I do!
A few of my other favorite recipes to bake with bananas: Gluten-free Chocolate Chip Banana Apple Bread, Vegan Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Banana Bread and the classic Paleo Chocolate Chip Banana Bread (nut-free).Print
Banana-Sweetened Paleo Breakfast Cake (gluten-free)
Banana-Sweetened Paleo Breakfast Cake made with ingredients like almond flour, nut butter and no added sugar besides banana!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 9 pieces 1x
- 1.5 cups mashed banana (or you can do a mix of mashed banana and unsweetened applesauce!)
- 1/3 cup creamy nut butter
- 2 pasture-raised eggs (haven’t tested flax egg!)
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/3 cup tapioca flour (or sub arrowroot flour)
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Optional: 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips OR cacao nibs if you do not want added sugar! Chopped nuts are also delicious in this
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease an 8×8 baking dish or line with parchment paper
- In a medium bowl, mix together the mashed banana, creamy nut butter, eggs and vanilla extract until creamy and well combined (I used a hand mixer but you can use a large spoon or spatula)
- Add in the almond flour, tapioca flour, baking powder and cinnamon and mix again until well combined and there are no clumps!
- Fold in dark chocolate or cacao nibs if using then pour batter into baking dish and bake for 30 minutes or until cake is full cooked (stick a toothpick in!)
- Allow the cake to cool for a few then slice and enjoy
- I drizzled some nut butter and melted cacao on top!
*Store in fridge for 5 days or freezer for 2 months
Thank you Simply Organic for sponsoring this post! It means so much to me to partner with brands I love and believe in on the blog!