The first cupcake recipe on the blog EVER is here! Hip hip HOORAY!
Not going to lie, I was so nervous baking cupcakes from scratch. Anything that I haven’t done before usually intimidates me, but these cupcakes had me seriously freaking out. I have never ate a grain-free cupcake let alone made one from scratch, but I was up for the challenge.
Red velvet is personally one of my absolute favorite cupcakes and cake flavors ever. I wanted a red velvet wedding caking but J wasn’t too into that idea. Then again, it didn’t really go with the whole “gold, blush and silver” color scheme I had going. We settled for vanilla chip with cannoli cream and it was AMAZING..in case you are wondering 😉
But these grain-free and dairy-free red velvet cupcakes are healthy AND they are homemade. No box or mix over here people. I used almond flour as my flour of choice.
Lately almond flour and I are getting along really well. I made a skillet brownie with some a couple weeks ago and have been getting lucky with it in the kitchen. Coconut flour on the other hand, well we have a love/hate relationship right now.
Now here is the real “wow” part of this recipe. I used BEETS to dye the cupcakes red. Yup, it is happening. It was wayyyy too much fun making these. I read online that someone had made a frosting recipe pink from using beets, so I knew that they would have to work in cupcakes too.
There is still actual cacao in the cupcakes, giving the real “red velvet chocolatey” taste too. All red velvet cake is, is a glorified way of eating chocolate cake.
I used Love Beets for these cupcakes too. Their Organic Mild Vinegar Beets are so so good. They are steamed and marinated in a mild white wine vinegar. I don’t recommend using roasted beets in this, steamed worked best for coloring purposes!
Love Beets is literally the only beet company I buy. I find them in Whole Foods and get them every single week. Jord loves them in his salads too so I try to always have them on hand.
I am also obsessed with the fact that Love Beets was started by a husband and wife (#couplegoals). The company’s branding is also so fun and colorful and their passion for quality products is admirable. You can read all about why beets are good for you right on their site too! You may recognize Love Beets from the beet pesto you all love too 🙂
If you make these cupcakes, don’t forget to share with me! I would love to hear what you think.
Healthy Homemade Red Velvet Cupcakes (grain-free)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 package Love Beets Organic Mild Vinegar Beets
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups almond flour (have not tested other flours)
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a muffin tin with liners
- In a food processor, blend together the beets so they are completely broken up in an applesauce-like consistency and set aside
- Mix together wet ingredients with hand mixer or Kitchen Aid in a large bowl
- In a medium bowl, stir together dry ingredients
- Add dry ingredients to wet and mix well
- Fill each cupcake liner about ¾ full
- Bake for 20-22 minutes and let cool then add your favorite frosting on top
- *Will stay good for about 4-5 days and I kept in fridge after a couple days
Thank you Love Beets for sponsoring this post. It means so much to me to work with brands that I love and who support rachLmansfield!