It’s not my birthday. It’s not anyone’s birthday that I know of but today we are making a homemade CAKE because why the heck no?
And it’s not just any cake. I whipped up a Double Layer Chocolate Chip Banana Cake that is vegan, gluten-free and hands down the easiest homemade cake ever. I know we all cheat with baking mixes a lot, but this recipe is too easy not to make in the kitchen.
I love that you only need a few simple ingredients like mashed banana, unsweetened applesauce, coconut oil and the flour we use is an organic sprouted brown rice flour. You guys know my love for One Degree Organic’s products and I finally (after a year of using all of their flours, oats, seeds, granolas and more) broke open the brown rice flour. I absolutely love it. It is the perfect flour for this rice and super easy to bake with. Plus it is naturally gluten-free and all of One Degree’s products are non-GMO verified, USDA Organic and you can trust where they source from (seriously just check the back of the label!).
I also keep a variety of their other flours on hand for baking and lately my Mom has been obsessed with the sprouted granolas. She keeps them in the fridge (wonder where she got that idea from…). You can’t go wrong with anything they make.
But back to this CAKE. It is perfect to whip up for dessert for the week or to bake for a friend, family member, yourself – literally anyone. It isn’t overly indulgent and at first I wanted to call it a breakfast cake because in this home, it is acceptable to eat this for breakfast with a little coconut yogurt and fruit.
Don’t forget to check out some of my other favorite recipes on the blog using One Degree products: One-Bowl Healthy Vegan Carrot Cake Loaf, Vegan Overnight Pumpkin Banana French Toast Bake and Vegan Chocolate Chunk Cookies.
Double Layer Banana Chocolate Chip Cake (vegan + gluten-free)
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoon ground flax + 6 tablespoons water)
- 3 medium bananas, mashed (about 1.5 cups)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup liquid coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups One Degree Organic Sprouted Brown Rice Flour (I haven't tested other flours)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips or chunks
- Chocolate frosting of choice (I love this one or making my ganache)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease two 8 inch round pans with coconut oil (I used these pans)
- Mix together the flax eggs, mashed banana, applesauce, coconut oil and vanilla extract with a large spoon or mixer until well combined
- Add in the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and coconut sugar and mix again until there are no clumps and batter is smooth
- Fold in dark chocolate and pour evenly into each round baking dish
- Bake in oven for 18-22 minutes then allow the cakes to cool for about 30 minutes before frosting
Will stay good for about 5 days on counter in airtight container or you can freeze this cake for up to 2 months
Thank you One Degree Organics for sponsoring this post! It means so much to me to partner with brands I love and believe in!