Chickpea-less Sweet Potato Falafels made with grain-free ingredients for an easy and delicious vegan-friendly recipe!
Raise your hand if you love falafel but kind of sorta can’t eat chickpeas all the time?
Dats me! I’m not allergic or intolerant to chickpeas but whenever I eat them frequently, it definitely isn’t my stomach’s favorite. But that wasn’t easy for me to accept as a self-proclaimed falafel queen who wants to eat it daily.
That’s where these Chickpea-less Sweet Potato Falafels come in handy. They’re grain-free, vegan and made with NO chickpeas yet still have that falafel-like consistency. They’re so crispy on the outside and filled with organic sweet potato, raw almonds, almond flour and spices on the inside.
I also add in my favorite dijon mustard from Sir Kensington’s in this recipe. It adds the best flavor ever to the sweet potato falafels. I also use some of their other condiments to serve like the special sauce or their new avocado ranch!
What I love about these falafels is that they are too easy to make. All you need to use is a food processor to make the batter then crisp them on a skillet and bake. They’re one of my go-to’s to food prep for the week since they stay well in the fridge and make for the best taco topping, addition in a grain bowl or anything you’re craving.
But what is it about Sir Kensington’s that has me using basically three of their products for one recipe? You guys have been seeing their products on the blog for almost THREE years now. How insane in this?! Their such an amazing brand that sells so many of my favorite condiments made with ingredients that I can trust. They make everything from various types of mayo, fabanaise (vegan mayo), ketchup and more. Think of any condiment ya love and you’ll likely find it over at Sir Kensington’s.
Here are a few of my other recipes on the blog that use their products: Loaded Guacamole Baked Sweet Potato Fries, Vegetarian Buffalo Mac & Cheese, Crispy Baked Avocado Fries and Baked Sweet Potato Tater Tots.
Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram if you make these Chickpea-less Sweet Potato Falafels! Cannot wait to see what you pair them with!
Chickpea-less Sweet Potato Falafels (grain-free, vegan-friendly)
Chickpea-less Sweet Potato Falafels made with grain-free and gluten-free ingredients for an easy and delicious vegan-friendly recipe.1 medium organic sweet potato
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 12-15 falafels 1x
- 1 medium organic sweet potato
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flax + 3 tablespoons water) or sub 1 pasture-raised egg
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 1/2 cup almond flour (or oat flour – haven’t tried coconut but if you do I reco 3 tablespoons to start and add as needed)
- 2 tablespoons Sir Kensington’s Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black powder
- For serving: organic greens, Sir Kensington Special Sauce, Quinoa, Sir Kensington’s Avocado Ranch, anything you’re craving!
- Wash and peel the sweet potato well (I use this brush and soap)
- Cut into smaller pieces and add to food processor to chop
- Once the sweet potato is in small rice-size pieces, add the flax egg, almonds, flour, dijon, garlic powder and black pepper and blend until well combined
- Grease the large skillet with avocado oil and form each falafel with about 2 tablespoons each and add to the skillet to crisp for about 2 minutes on each side
- Then add to oven and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes
- Serve with desired toppings and enjoy!
Falafels will stay good in the fridge for 5 days or freezer for a couple months!
Thank you Sir Kensington’s for sponsoring this post! It means so much to me to work with brands I love and believe in on the blog!