Fluffy Vegan Birthday Cake Pancakes made with all gluten-free and nut-free ingredients. These are the ultimate lower in sugar healthy pancakes that still taste delicious and are perfect for any occasion!
You didn’t think I wouldn’t have pancakes for breakfast on my 30th birthday did you?
And let me just tell you, this stack is INSANE. After making that Gluten-free Birthday Cake Banana Bread a few weeks ago, it got my wheels spinning in my head. Adding sprinkles to any recipe is actually the best idea ever. It takes the recipe up 10 more levels and it’s even more fun to eat.
I used my Fluffy Vegan Pancakes as inspiration for these. Made a few additions to make them a bit sweeter and more “festive” like adding maple syrup to the batter too, some almond extract and of course sprinkles.
I love that these extra fluffy vegan birthday cake pancakes use all gluten-free ingredients and they are an easy healthy pancake for the whole family.
I grew up in a pancake house. We always had pancakes on weekends and whenever we were craving. For breakfast, dinner, anything. Chocolate chip is still my forever favorite. My mom used to make them for me all the time, but now these birthday cake ones are making their way to be one of my favorites ever.
The key to making your pancakes extra crispy and getting them to cook perfectly comes down to a few things:
- Grease that skillet! And I’m not talking a little spray or dab of oil. The skillet has to be greased to get the cakes crispy. You can use ghee, butter, vegan butter or an oil. Just make sure it is coated with a thin layer (not like your frying, just a thin layer!)
- Don’t cook them on high heat. Cook the pancakes on low heat after you eat the pan up for a min or two
- No over mixing the batter. This is so common and it will make the pancakes turn out a bit flat and not as fluffy
What ingredients you need to make these birthday cake pancakes:
- Gluten-free oat flour – if you are not gf you can also use whole wheat flour or spelt flour (more on that here)
- Non-dairy milk – any works! I love using one without added sugars as it is a waste to get sugar in nut milk. I prefer getting sugar from the syrup
- Maple syrup – the more the merrier!
- Coconut oil – melted and cooled or coconut oil in liquid form
- Sprinkles – duh..can’t not add sprinkles to a birthday cake anything!
Fluffy Vegan Birthday Cake Pancakes (gluten-free)
Fluffy Vegan Birthday Cake Pancakes made with all gluten-free ingredients. These are the ultimate lower in sugar healthy pancakes that still taste delicious and are perfect for any occasion!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Yield: 6-8 pancakes 1x
- 1 cup gluten-free oat flour (spelt or whole wheat can work too as a not GF option)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 2 tablespoons liquid coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sprinkles! I used these
- Butter, ghee or more oil for greasing
- In a large bowl, add the flour and baking powder together and mix
- Mix in the milk, oil, maple syrup and extracts until smooth (don’t over mix)
- Fold in the sprinkles if using then heat a large skillet over medium high heat and add what you are using to grease
- Allow the pan to heat for a minute or so then add about 3 tablespoons of batter per pancake to skillet and turn to low heat and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side
- Remove from skillet and enjoy with desired toppings
*Will stay good for 5 days or you can freeze for longer!