A Paleo Chocolate Chip Banana Bread that is nut-free?! I know, shocker that there is a nut free recipe over on my blog.
If there is one thing I can’t live with out, it is peanut butter. Or really all nut butter for that matter.
Ever since I was younger, I was obsessed with anything peanut butter related. Reese’s Cups, Reese’s Pieces, PB&J, Peanut Butter ANYTHING!
Then when my younger brother was born, that all changed. My parent’s couldn’t figure out why he didn’t have same some love for peanut butter like I do. Well, it turns out that my brother is highly allergic to all NUTS! What are the odds right?
Growing up was a little challenging for me in the kitchen since my Mom (being the amazing Mother she is, hey mom!), was totally neurotic about utensils carrying traces of peanut butter and my brother having a reaction. I didn’t eat peanut butter near him and always had to be careful to not get it anywhere. I also had to disinfect the counter and wash everything before putting it in the dishwasher. Too many obstacles to spoon my beloved PB.
Needless to say, you can imagine how challenging this was for me after seeing how many of my recipes contain nuts in them!
When my brother started playing sports and working out (aka when he was 3 because he is beyond talented), my parents were trying to find ways for him to refuel after a workout. A peanut butter shake or PB&J on the run wasn’t going to work.
Then, my Mom found out about SunButter. In case you aren’t familiar with SunButter, it is 100% peanut free, dairy free, egg free, tree nut free, gluten free, sesame free, gmo free and is made from purely sunflower seeds. It is such an amazing alternative to any nut butter if you have an allergies to peanuts and tree nuts. We put SunButter in shakes and make sandwiches for Seth so he can have the healthy dosage of fats and proteins after a work out. It is amazing for anyone with a nut allergy who wants that creamy PB consistency. Not to mention, I am obsessed with it too and I love any nut butter!
One of my biggest goals for myself this year is to branch out and make more recipes out of my “comfort zone”. Nuts are a huge part of this. I also want to make more paleo recipes, which so far is off to a great start. Then, I said to myself “how about a nut free AND paleo recipe?”. From a sweets perspective, that is pretty challenging since nuts are a major ingredient in most paleo treats, but this banana bread is officially a game changer.
I am beyond excited to share that this Paleo Chocolate Chip Banana Bread is absolutely NUT FREE. Thanks to the delicious SunButter sunflower spread. I used their organic jar, which is so creamy & delicious. This loaf may even be my favorite out of the banana bread family: Flourless Oatmeal Raisin Banana Bread, Paleo Blueberry Banana Breakfast Bread & Strawberry Oatmeal Banana Bread
Paleo Chocolate Chip Banana Bread (Nut Free)
- 3 medium/large ripe bananas mashed
- 1/2 cup nut butter (I love this brand and this one - code RACHL for GG orders of $20 or more and you'll get free shipping and extra nut butter!)
- 3 pasture-raised eggs at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon liquid coconut oil
- Splash of vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- Sprinkle of cinnamon
- 1/2 cup of dark chocolate of choice (code rachLcoconutcups for free chocolate with orders!)
- Preheat oven to 350 and line or spray a loaf pan with parchment paper
- Place wet ingredients in a medium mixing bowl and mix with kitchen aid
- Once mixed well, add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and continue to mix with kitchen aid
- Fold in dark chocolate chips once everything is mixed well (I also saved some to sprinkle on top)
- Bake in oven for 35-45 minutes (or until ends are golden)
- Finally, enjoy with your toppings of choice or deliciously as is
- You can keep in fridge for about 7 days or freeze for longer!
Thank you SunButter for sponsoring this post. It means so much to me to work with brands that I love and who support rachLmansfield!