Dark Chocolate Marble Spelt Flour Banana Bread for an easy dairy-free chocolaty bread!
I feel like I have been neglecting my main boo, banana bread, recently. I am still in awe of how many of you make the Paleo Chocolate Chip Banana Bread daily. It blows my mind and warms my heart at the same time when I see so many of you enjoying it as much as I do. It is a staple in our freezer and in all honesty, not many banana breads ever top it.
Until I made this gem.
Whenever someone asks me what my favorite recipe on the blog is, I always feel odd answering and picking one recipe. It is like picking a favorite child, ya know? But I always respond and any of the banana breads. I feel less guilty that way since there are a handful of ones to choose from.
This Dark Chocolate Marble Spelt Flour Banana Bread is the first new banana bread in awhile. It is also my first time ever using spelt flour. I really didn’t know much about it and really still am not an expert, but so far I have been really impressed. I wasn’t sure if it was gluten-free or what but turns out spelt does indeed have gluten so ya’ll have been warned if you have an allergy!
Spelt flour has a mild, slightly nutty flavor and is a relatively lighter flour. It doesn’t weigh down baked goods like whole wheat flour does. It is high in fiber and easily digestible compared to wheat too.
In addition to this fancy shmancy banana bread having spelt flour in it, it also has collagen peptides!
I get a TON of inquires about my love affair with Vital Proteins from you babes. It honestly is a staple in my daily life and I cannot go a day without it. I use the marine collagen peptides and typically put it in my hot lemon water everyday. It is amazing for our skin, hair and nails, joint health, digestion and overall health. It is super versatile and you can bake or cook with it too. I aim to get 1 scoop in per day or one packet.
Vital Proteins also sells capsules so if mixing it into your drinks or food isn’t your thing, definitely try the capsules instead. If you do have their powder, try some of these other recipes too using it. Such an sneaky way to get in the collagen peptides to your eats.
WHAT YOU NEED
Coconut milk (or any milk)
Dark chocolate chips
- If you don’t have spelt flour, you can also sub whole wheat flour or gluten-free baking flour. It should still work very well
- This loaf freezes well so feel free to bake the bread then freeze half for another time
- Vital Proteins does not add any flavor, you don’t even taste the collagen in here!
Dark Chocolate Marble Spelt Flour Banana Bread
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Yield: 8-10 slices 1x
- Wet Ingredients:
- 1 cup of mashed bananas (this was about 2 medium for me)
- ⅓ cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 eggs (can sub flax but I haven’t tested)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk (or your preferred milk)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Chocolate ingredients:
- 1/2 cup of dark chocolate chips
- Dry Ingredients:
- 1.5 cups spelt flour
- 1 scoop Vital Proteins Marine Collagen (can omit if preferred)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line or spray a loaf pan with parchment paper (I used 8.5 x 4.5 x 2.5)
- Mix together wet ingredients with Kitchen Aid or hand mixer
- Mix dry ingerdints in small bowl
- Add dry ingredients to wet and mix with spatula
- In a microwave safe bowl, add dark chocolate and microwave in 30 second increments until melted and smooth (stir in between)
- Let the melted chocolate cool for a few minutes
- Pour about 1 cup of batter into the melted chocolate bowl and stir until well combined
- Pour about half the non-chocolate batter into bread pan followed by half the chocolate batter, layering until all batter is used
- Gently swirl together using a dull knife or the end of a spoon to create the “marble look”
- Bake for 35-40 minutes (stick tooth pick in and should come out clean)
- Let cool for a few minutes and enjoy!
Thank you Vital Proteins for sponsoring this post. It means so much to me to work with brands that I love and who support rachLmansfield!