Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Snack Bars that are gluten & dairy-free
Have you caught on to my dark chocolate theme this week? Apparently I was craving all the chocolate when I mapped out this week’s blog recipes.
I also came to the conclusion at the end of 2016 that your favorite recipes here on the blog usual have dark chocolate and/or peanut butter in them. The Paleo Chocolate Banana Bread, Flourless PB Cup Banana Bread, Quinoa Crunch Bars, etc.
I don’t blame you though..
But today we are making a recipe that you guys are going to go c-r-a-z-y over. These Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Snack Bars.
They are honestly one of the best things that have ever come out of my oven. These bars have a crispy oatmeal crust and are filled with creamy peanut butter and dark chocolate. Plus they are gluten free and dairy free and packed with fiber, protein, healthy fats and complex carbs.
The crust even has a hidden gem in it – collagen. Yup, we have another sweet recipe with collagen in it. Those 6-ingredient Coconut Flour Chocolate Chunk Cookies, Chocolate Chip Ginger Oatmeal Cookies and Chocolate Chip Flaxseed Waffles (just to name a few) ALL have marine collagen in them.
I add a scoop of Vital Proteins marine collagen into my lemon water every single day. But I also love adding it to random recipes. I do not think it has any sort of taste when you mix it in a hot beverage or within a recipe you are cooking/baking. It really just gives any recipe or beverage an extra boost.
Collagen peptides is amazing for our hair, skin and nails. It is also great for digestion, our joints and helps us maintain a healthy weight. I use Vital Proteins marine collagen but Jord also uses the beef one. Literally any of them will work and are good for you, so just a matter of personal preference.
These snack bars are the best for the mid-afternoon sweet tooth craving, a quick on-the-go breakfast or even dessert.
WHAT YOU NEED
sprouted rolled oats or rolled oats
Vital Proteins Marine Collagen Peptides
Dark Chocolate Chips
- These bars taste amazing warm, at room temp or cold. I personally loved eating them frozen but anyway will work
- To ensure a gorgeous peanut butter swirl, use a tooth pick to swirl the chocolate and peanut butter together
- These bars freeze very well so feel free to make them and freeze as many as you’d like (if you don’t eat them all, ha!)
- Marine collagen is indeed optional in this recipe, but I recommend incorporating it into your daily eats. It has amazing benefits!
Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Snack Bars (gluten-free)
- Yield: 9 bars 1x
- Category: gluten-free, vegan-friendly
- Cuisine: breakfast, snack
- 1 cup of old fashioned oatmeal (gluten-free if needed not cooked)
- 1 cup of pitted dates
- ⅓ cup coconut flakes
- ¼ cup creamy peanut butter (or your nut butter of choice)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon Vital Proteins Marine Collagen*
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (melted)
- 5 teaspoons of creamy peanut butter
- *you can omit if you prefer but it adds a great nutritional value*
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and grease 8×8 baking dish
- Add crust ingredients to food processor and pulse until well combined in a dough
- Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes
- Spread melted chocolate evenly on top of the bars once baked
- Add 5 teaspoons of peanut butter across the bars and use the end of your spoon to swirl it all together
- Bake in oven for additional 10-15 minutes
- Leave in fridge for up to 7 days or freezer for longer
Thank you Vital Protein for sponsoring this post. It means so much to me to work with brands that I love and who support rachLmansfield!